Spike Island offers some of the most professional and affordable artists’ studios in the country. It is currently home to over 70 artists at all stages of their careers, working across all media. These studios are subsidised, making them accessible to artists who would otherwise find it difficult to afford working space.
Studios, both individual and shared, are secure and accessible 24/7. Most have excellent natural light and all artists have access to workshop and kitchen facilities. In addition to offering quiet places to work, Spike Island facilitates a vibrant creative environment of peer support and collaboration. National and international connections are made with visiting artists and residencies, and studio holders benefit from the expertise of Spike Island staff.
Studio spaces are awarded following an application which is assessed by the studio selection panel. This panel is made up of the director or other staff member, a trustee, an external advisor, the studio administrators and two other studio representatives. Artists are assessed through reference to five criteria:
· A commitment to an ongoing contemporary art practice
· An engagement with the wider contemporary art context
· A clear vision for the development of their work
· How work space at Spike Island will benefit their practice
· A willingness to make an active contribution to Spike Island
Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic artists are currently under represented in our studios and we welcome applications from artists from these communities.
Studio holders can join Spike Island’s membership programme: Spike Associates at a discounted rate.
Workshop facilities and equipment at Spike Island:
· General: forklift, gantry, compressor, benches, kiln and sandblast cabinet
· Woodwork: table saw, band saw, radial arm saw, dual bevel slide mitre saw, pillar drill, sanding disk and dust extraction
· Spraying and resin area with fume extraction
· Metalwork: mig welder, arc welder, welding and gas cutting equipment, plasma cutter, horizontal band saw, mechanical hacksaw, guillotine, pillar drill, pedestal grinder, bending rollers, fume extraction and portable filter box
· The Associates Space offers IT facilities including scanning, printing and computers with word processing, graphics and video editing software
How To Apply:
Spike Island accepts applications for studio spaces and are reviewed by the selection panel. If successful, artists enter into the studio pool to take up sublets and studio spaces as and when they become available.
Application deadlines for 2018:
Fri 16 November
To apply, please visit www.spikeisland.org.uk/artists-studios