Maze Studios CIC. is an artist-led, not-for-profit organisation providing studio space and opportunities for artists and the local community.
Maze Studios is run by a group of dedicated artists, all with a background in Ceramics, having studied Fine Art and Art & Design.
Maze Studios provides a creative space in which artists/makers are encouraged to develop their practise within a friendly and supportive environment.
‘We are a community interest company aiding the facilitation of artist development as a stepping stone between formal training and personal artistic progression towards artist independence’.
Maze Studios CIC is established to cultivate and promote the progression of publicly accessible facilities and access to education in contemporary visual art, craft and design through the development of artistic knowledge and public participation.
Our aim is to provide creative spaces in which ceramic equipment is accessible to artists and the public who are in the early stages of development, before the start of a viable practice that would benefit from personal investment in kilns wheels and other essential equipment.
An incubation space, an opportunity for the focused development of personal artistic practices.
A place for learning essential ceramic studio skills.
A place to develop and aid in the progression towards eventual artistic independence.
Providing a platform for artist interaction, creativity and knowledge sharing.
A space for taking steps towards the development of personal practices within the art field.
A variety of studio access is available:
- Gold membership
- Silver membership
- Day Space – open access
Our aim is to help facilitate the steps towards professionalism and eventual studio independence. Helping artists develop and identify how they can achieve and support future growth is a key part of artist time at the studios.
Our studio space sizes are similar to what you might expect from those provided by University or colleges and are reflective of this stage of development as a space for learning and the experimental stage of artistic development.
We also offer two larger Gold membership spaces for other art practices.
A Creative Space
- A creative environment – A space that is alive with creativity.
- Learning about and developing essential studio practice – Through inductions independent use of the space can be achieved and a greater knowledge of ceramic practice.
- Creative interaction between artists – A space of sharing creative knowledge.
- Encouragement for progression towards artist independence – Through self directed experience and knowledge building artists can be encouraged towards identifying and achieving their next step.
Kilns and firings
Maze Studios has a large range of top and front-loading kilns, varying in size which makes work of differing sizes possible.
As well as the studios new kilns the studio maintains a good standard of second-hand kilns with kilns coming from colleges and universities that no longer have the ability to host ceramic facilities.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for a studio space, visit the membership page of the website or Day Space and classes and follow the application information.
- 10 electric kilns
- 2 Gas fired Raku kilns
- 10 electric throwing wheels
- Clay recycling facilities
- Large clay slab roller
- Clay extruders
- Dedicated raw material & glaze prep room incl spray booth & material storage area
- 2 x Air compressors Glaze application and plaster work
- laze mixers
- Plaster work area
- 2 x 3phase Union Graduate Plaster Lathes
- Dremil and bench grinder
- Plaster whirler
- Drying cupboard
- Large communal workspace and additional workspaces
- Kitchen coffee/tea/eating area
- 3-phase electricity supply
- Loading bay at front of building for heavy/large items
- Off-road car parking at the studios + parking in disabled access ramp
- 24 hour access – 7 days a week (depending on chosen service)
Maze Studios details
Located in Barton Hill, Bristol, Maze Studios is situated amongst a growing artistic community. The 4000sq.ft building comprises of studio spaces, membership work areas, workshop areas and extensive ceramic facilities.
Maze Studios is conveniently situated within close proximity to main bus and train routes. Maze Studios Unit 26 Barton Hill Trading Estate, Maze St, Bristol, BS5 9TQ (5min walk from Laurence Hill train station)
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for a studio membership or to arrange a visit, please visitwww.mazestudiosbristol.com for more information. Fill in the application for Gold, Silver or Day Space or send us an email for any other queries.
Maze Studios CIC
Barton Hill Trading Estate
Bristol, BS5 9TQ
For Gold or Silver membership email: email@example.com
For Day Spaces or classes & workshops email: firstname.lastname@example.org
5 min. walk from Lawrence Hill train station or 15 min. walk from Temple Meads train station.